Tuesday 19 January 2010

Chocolates?


What is it about American Badgers? Why do they think they can come over here and steal our chocolate?
I have been eating Cadbury chocolate for years. And my Dad ate it before me. And my Grand-dad before him. In fact, we can trace eating Cadbury chocolate all the way back to old Broc. Even the Big Old Dragon is said to have eaten it.
AND NOW WHAT?
No longer will it be made with the cream of those dirty hills of Birmingham and Bristol (why do they both start with B?) and the sneaky Cacoa beans imported by Willy Wonka.
NO!!
Now it will be made with that crappy stuff from USA. They will ruin it. What will my cubs eat? Will they carry on this family tradition of eating Cadbury or will they go on just eating British. So our own family history will be all about eating British Chocolate rather than Cadbury specifically.
Now, the interesting thing about my cubs is that they will judge it on taste, as youth can do. They won't care a jot what I ate or old Broc ate, they will judge it solely on what tastes good. They'll judge it on texture, crunch, subtlety, bubbles, probably packaging, perhaps what's easiest to sneak from the shops.
So what does all this mean? Well, apart from personally being sad about it I fear it is another mark of the destruction of our communities in the quest for domination. Some call if globalisation. I call it rain forest crushing, caterpillar removal and nasty.
Of course, my sett is about as far removed from Cadbury as possible. Or is it?

1 comment:

  1. For generations of Badgers to lose their chocolate might not matter to the young ones but it is something to be sad about. I mourn a good British company and their brands feeling compelled, against shareholder sentiment and the ordinary people, to sell on the promise of growth and cost saving. Sad indeed.

    You know my view which you can read at: http://bit.ly/880lDm 

    ReplyDelete